Monday, September 20, 2010

Influence Map - Update

Wally Wood
My first exposure to Wood's work was a teenager. There was a Marvel UK weekly B+W reprint, (As far as I can remember, I can't remeber the title of the comic book!) that reprinted some of the sword and sorcery comic strips that Wood drew. It instantly stood out to me and I've been inspired/influenced by him ever since.

There are a lot of stories about Wally Wood. I remember hearing one story in particular. It was when Wood had received a fan letter saying that his work was past it and not up to scratch and that his assistants handled all the work, not him - in other words, he was washed up. Wood saw this as a challenge and produced, what is too me, his greatest work 'To Kill A God' .

This story was told to me when I worked at Fox Animation Studios by Jun Lofamia. Jun brought in the strip in question to show me...and I blew it up on the copier on paper 24x36 and i'm not kidding you. The attention to detail is amazing and some of it gets quite lost 'regular' size.

And the thing is...he probably drew it drunk! Wood was an alcoholic!

Below is the first page of the strip. if you can...search it out. Well worth the time looking.

Wally Wood - Genius!

No comments: